Zeitgeist
Topic Author

VS 2012

20 Dec 2012, 05:30

I know this isn't officially supported yet, but I just wanted to report my experience so far with attempting to work with VS 2012. I am having trouble getting it work. I tried this as basic as possible. I took the D3D9 Create device tutorial, and then in main, after the device was initialized, tried to initialize the NS GUI. The program built just fine, but generates a fatal error on execution.

(main function)

... // code verbatim from DX tutorial, with necessary NS headers included.
	// Initialize Direct3D
	if( SUCCEEDED( InitD3D( hWnd ) ) )
	{
		// Show the window
		NsGetKernel()->Init();
		Render::SetDX9Device(g_pd3dDevice);
		NsGetKernel()->InitSystems();

}
Some experimentation shows that it's always on InitSystems that the application breaks, but I don't have much further information than that right now. I got the following exception:

Unhandled exception at at 0x74C0C41F in framework_D.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: Noesis::Core::Exception at memory location 0x0036DE44.

Any thoughts or workarounds would be appreciated, but I am a bit stuck now :).

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: VS 2012

20 Dec 2012, 11:44

There is something still not documented (that will be in the next version). You can install an error handler to get exact description of errors:
void ErrorHandler(const NsChar* filename, NsInt line, const NsChar* desc)
{
    printf("\nERROR: %s\n\n", desc);
    exit(1);
}

Noesis::Core::SetErrorHandler(ErrorHandler);
    NsGetKernel()->Init();

Could you try that and report the exact error here?

Thanks.

Zeitgeist
Topic Author

Re: VS 2012

20 Dec 2012, 14:53

Hi-- thanks you for the help.

I tried this & it turned out to be my setup and not compiler related. The error reported is ERROR: Drawing/VGL/vglMask.shader not in database. When I checked the Data directory I had copied from over from Bin it was empty..... once I copied that over properly, the crash seemed to go away.

Thanks!