diego.fitxr
Topic Author

Working pipeline from Figma (or other editors) to XAML?

17 Feb 2023, 11:29

Hi guys,
I am testing NoesisGUI but I can't get a nice, working out-of-the-box experience to visually edit XAML.
I tried to use a recommended exporter for Figma https://www.figma.com/community/plugin/ ... Figma2xaml but it didn't work.
Specifically, it inserts strings into graphics nodes and Noesis complains.
Then I tried this other exporter but I am not sure how to add the required libraries to make it run https://www.figma.com/community/plugin/ ... a-to-XAML).

Is there an easy way, or at least one that is documented, to get from a visual editor (not necessarily Figma) to XAML?

What did you use for your examples? I doubt you manually inserted all the animation keyframes :)

Cheers,

Diego

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Working pipeline from Figma (or other editors) to XAML?

17 Feb 2023, 11:48

Hi Diego, have you tried Microsoft Blend? That's what we recommend to all our clients and what we are using for our demos. We recently added support for Rive, but it is not a replacement for tools like Blend.

diego.fitxr
Topic Author

17 Feb 2023, 12:17

Hi Diego, have you tried Microsoft Blend? That's what we recommend to all our clients and what we are using for our demos. We recently added support for Rive, but it is not a replacement for tools like Blend.
I gave it a little try to Blend, however, I have two main issues with it.

First, I simply put a button there but my screen was all black with a black button and white text. The button was only visible when clicking. The scale was off too.
Surely there is some error on my part but that's not the WYSIWYG experience I would expect.
If there is some setup to do, it would be great if you guys could post a tutorial or something.

Second, I have a team of designers that surely will complain about using Blend. Compared to Figma is like asking a coder to use Notepad instead of VS :)

Thanks

jsantos
Site Admin

17 Feb 2023, 12:52

If there is some setup to do, it would be great if you guys could post a tutorial or something.
Make sure to start with our examples after reading the Unity3D tutorial. All the examples come with a Blend solution.
Second, I have a team of designers that surely will complain about using Blend. Compared to Figma is like asking a coder to use Notepad instead of VS :)
Although we understand the resistance to learn new tools, Figma is not the right tool for creating UI. And the only way to fully use Noesis is with a specific UI editor, like Blend. It is a steep learning curve but it pays off. So, please let us know if you need a meeting with our team.

We are also working in a more artist friendly alternative to Blend (created with Noesis) taking many ideas from tools like Figma and AdobeXD.

diego.fitxr
Topic Author

17 Feb 2023, 16:55

Make sure to start with our examples after reading the Unity3D tutorial. All the examples come with a Blend solution.
FYI guys your tutorial and solution doesn't work out of the box for VS Community 2022.
.NET 4.5 ref. assembly is missing, I had to follow this guide to fix it.

https://thomaslevesque.com/2021/11/12/b ... udio-2022/

Moreover, when trying to install "NoesisGUI Project Templates" it doesn't work either.
This is from the log
17/02/2023 15:50:14 - Searching for applicable products...
17/02/2023 15:50:14 - Found installed product - Visual Studio Community 2022
17/02/2023 15:50:14 - Found installed product - Global Location
17/02/2023 15:50:14 - VSIXInstaller.NoApplicableSKUsException: This extension is not installable on any currently installed products.
   at VSIXInstaller.ExtensionService.GetInstallableDataImpl(IInstallableExtension extension, String extensionPackParentName, Boolean isRepairSupported, IStateData stateData, IEnumerable`1& skuData)
   at VSIXInstaller.ExtensionService.GetInstallableData(String vsixPath, String extensionPackParentName, Boolean isRepairSupported, IStateData stateData, IEnumerable`1& skuData)
   at VSIXInstaller.ExtensionPackService.IsExtensionPack(IStateData stateData, Boolean isRepairSupported)
   at VSIXInstaller.ExtensionPackService.ExpandExtensionPackToInstall(IStateData stateData, Boolean isRepairSupported)
   at VSIXInstaller.App.Initialize(Boolean isRepairSupported)
   at VSIXInstaller.App.Initialize()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
In the Button sample, what did you use to animate on focus?
It is hard to believe that you did it manually and Blend doesn't seem to show the animations (or maybe I don't find them).
Is there involved another tool in the process?

Cheers

Diego

Phodopus

18 Feb 2023, 21:01

We are also working in a more artist friendly alternative to Blend (created with Noesis) taking many ideas from tools like Figma and AdobeXD.
Will this new design tool you are planning also run under MacOS and can you already say when we can expect this tool at the earliest?

jsantos
Site Admin

20 Feb 2023, 12:03

FYI guys your tutorial and solution doesn't work out of the box for VS Community 2022.
Visual Studio 2022 (and our templates extension) is still not supported (#2221).
It is hard to believe that you did it manually and Blend doesn't seem to show the animations (or maybe I don't find them).
Our examples were entirely created using Blend. There is a stoyboard editor in Blend that can be used to animate properties.

jsantos
Site Admin

20 Feb 2023, 12:09

Will this new design tool you are planning also run under MacOS and can you already say when we can expect this tool at the earliest?
Yes, the Studio will be multi-platform (but in the first versions we will be focused on Windows). Similar to the inspector, that was recently released for macOS.

During 2023 we will be releasing private alphas to licensees.

adambuchweitz

26 Jul 2023, 18:11

During 2023 we will be releasing private alphas to licensees.
Very excited about this! I'm a license holder, and very much would like to be included in an alpha :)