joshmond
Topic Author

Unity New UI Input System Rebinding

23 Jun 2023, 15:31

Hey guys,I'm working on a project where I am trying to replicate a keybinding system similar to the image below where you have a primary and secondary binding for a given action as well as supporting modifier keys (<shift> + <key> or <control> + <key>). I want to know whether NoesisGUI is capable of integrating this type of system with Unity's new input system and if not, how would I go about creating such a system for NoesisGUI that can is capable of supporting different input devices (keyboard/mouse and gamepads)?

Example of rebind system that I'm trying to replicate: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/wowpe ... 0618175854

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Unity New UI Input System Rebinding

23 Jun 2023, 17:10

Since 3.2 we fully support the new Input System to drive interactions with the UI. Have you tried that?

joshmond
Topic Author

23 Jun 2023, 17:39

That is awesome that NoesisGUI now fully supports the new input system. Do you have any code samples or tutorials on how NoesisGUI interacts with the new input system or how rebinding actions are done?

jackalope

26 Jun 2023, 19:39

That is awesome that NoesisGUI now fully supports the new input system. Do you have any code samples or tutorials on how NoesisGUI interacts with the new input system or how rebinding actions are done?
I need to upvote this. I read the update notes and I have no idea how I can integrate the new input system. Please give us a sample or explain it better in the documentation.

jsantos
Site Admin

27 Jun 2023, 11:12

All our examples are already using the new Input System (for gamepad by default). NoesisView exposes an Action Map that be configured to whatever you need to drive actions.

The set of configurable actions are listed in the following image:

joshmond
Topic Author

27 Jun 2023, 17:13

Nice, I will definitely look into that as well as the updated examples. Do these support runtime binding/remapping of buttons as well for both keyboard/mouse and gamepad? What I'm trying to implement is a runtime remapping system for the keys. Similar to this:

Action Primary Secondary
Up   <W> <Up Arrow>
Down <S> <Down Arrow>
Left <A> <Left Arrow>
Down <D> <Right Arrow>

Ability One <Q> <Shift>+<Q>
Is NoesisGUI capable of doing this sort of rebinding or will I have to Hook into Unity's way of runtime rebinding?

jsantos
Site Admin

27 Jun 2023, 18:36

Is NoesisGUI capable of doing this sort of rebinding or will I have to Hook into Unity's way of runtime rebinding?
As far as I understand, yes. These are standard Unity InputActions that can be configured with any binding (keyboard, touch, gamepath...)