ForeshoreTechnology
Topic Author

EGL Render Device.

27 May 2020, 00:20

I'm trying to create a managed .net core example (running on linux) of the IntegrationGLUT sample but using EGL instead of GL I can't seem to find a RenderDeviceEGL only a RenderContextEGL or does the RenderDeviceGL fallback to using what is available? I already have a Framebuffer ready for writing but I'm not sure how to get the Noesis.GUI to generate EGL commands.

Otherwise, I guess I will strip out the RenderDeviceEGL from Noesis.App (Well compile it with the correct flags) and then create a managed wrapper for it? Is this a valid approach?

Also throughout the documentation it states that Noesis.App is only a reference implementation but there is a lot of code there. Do you have any more documentation about what parts only work if you have the Noesis.App ? Seems like sounds / databinding / interactions / animations / fonts etc?

Finally the Integration example does still include NoesisApp. Do you have an example of not using NoesisApp at all. Or is it simply just removing this line and providing a application.xaml?

I'm probably misunderstanding something so apologies if these are silly questions.

Tags:

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: EGL Render Device.

27 May 2020, 04:04

I'm trying to create a managed .net core example (running on linux) of the IntegrationGLUT sample but using EGL instead of GL I can't seem to find a RenderDeviceEGL only a RenderContextEGL or does the RenderDeviceGL fallback to using what is available? I already have a Framebuffer ready for writing but I'm not sure how to get the Noesis.GUI to generate EGL commands.
Right now, RenderDeviceGL (implemented in the native library) is hardcoded to WGL/GLX in x86 and x86_64 architectures and to EGL in arm and arm64 architectures. We have plans to be more flexible about this in the future. If this is important to you, please report a ticket.
Also throughout the documentation it states that Noesis.App is only a reference implementation but there is a lot of code there. Do you have any more documentation about what parts only work if you have the Noesis.App ? Seems like sounds / databinding / interactions / animations / fonts etc?
NoesisApp implements many callbacks that are exposed in Noesis. The documentation for C++ gives a list of things supported by the app framework. It is quite similar to C#, although we should upgrade the documentation for C# also because a few things, like sound callbacks are missing right now.
Finally the Integration example does still include NoesisApp. Do you have an example of not using NoesisApp at all. Or is it simply just removing this line and providing a application.xaml?
IntegrationGLUT is a pure Noesis sample. NoesisApp is only used in one line, just to load the default theme.

ForeshoreTechnology
Topic Author

27 May 2020, 08:41

Thanks for the quick reply.

So in summary to provide my own RenderDevice I must create it in C++ (E.g. I can't create a managed render device) and then provide bindings for this in C# to be able to use it in the managed space.

jsantos
Site Admin

28 May 2020, 11:27

So in summary to provide my own RenderDevice I must create it in C++ (E.g. I can't create a managed render device) and then provide bindings for this in C# to be able to use it in the managed space.
Right now, that's not possible. Renderers in C# are embeded in the dynamic library and cannot be extended. This is something that has been requested a few times.