satorp
Topic Author

Possible use of Inspector for Release build

12 Nov 2020, 04:12

Hi,

I'm considering the use of Inspector for troubleshooting softwares in Release build. Since the instrumentations for inspection are only enabled on Profile or Debug build of Noesis, one idea will be to switch the Noesis DLL in Release build with the Profile version. My concerns are:
  • Will it be safe to replace the DLL without relinking with the application?
  • A more straightforward idea will be to just ship with the Profile version in the first place, but I expect a performance impact due to the instrumentations. How much impact will it be? And is there any other possible issue (e.g. security issue caused by open TCP/UDP ports etc)?
What's your suggestion to achieve the goal?

Tags:

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Possible use of Inspector for Release build

13 Nov 2020, 11:09

Will it be safe to replace the DLL without relinking with the application?
Yes, it should work, our headers don't break the One Definition Rule between configurations.
A more straightforward idea will be to just ship with the Profile version in the first place, but I expect a performance impact due to the instrumentations. How much impact will it be? And is there any other possible issue (e.g. security issue caused by open TCP/UDP ports etc)?
The performance impact is minimal, less than 5%. You can also disable the inspector by calling Noesis::GUI::DisableInspector() before initialization.

satorp
Topic Author

07 Dec 2020, 12:36

@jsantos
Thank you for the reply. We will consider the options, both seem plausible at this moment.

jsantos
Site Admin

07 Dec 2020, 12:41

Great! Let us know if you need more help with this.