09 Dec 2020, 15:44

We have a problem where we randomly crash in
m_View->GetRenderer()->Render();
The weird thing is that we can get through the following without crashing:
m_View->Update(EngineLoop::GetTimeSinceStart().AsSeconds());
m_View->GetRenderer()->UpdateRenderTree();
m_View->GetRenderer()->RenderOffscreen();
m_View->GetRenderer()->Render();
This code executes exactly as written above, but we don't crash until we get to the final Render() call.
What could be the cause for this? How can it get through UpdateRenderTree() and RenderOffscreen() but crash in Render()?

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Crash in Vulkan RenderDevice

09 Dec 2020, 17:04

Not sure if I am following, the crash is happening inside Render() right? Why should the other functions (UpdateRenderTree, RenderOffscreen) crash?

skumbananaaa
Topic Author

10 Dec 2020, 08:37

Yes, correct, the crash is happening in Render(). Seems odd to me that UpdateRenderTree and RenderOffscreen can run without crashing but Render crashes right after. I mean, to me it seems unlikely that there is any problem with the view since those functions run, and those functions depend on the RenderDevice so it also seems unlikely that the problem lies there.

jsantos
Site Admin

10 Dec 2020, 10:56

I don't see why Render cannot crash when UpdateRenderTree and RenderOffscreen didn't. Anyway, where is the crash happening? If it is inside Noesis could you please create a ticket and attach the minidump?

skumbananaaa
Topic Author

10 Dec 2020, 11:29

I'm not saying that I can't crash there, obviously, it can. Since I can't debug anything about Noesis I cant really say what the problem is. I'm just saying that the View and the RenderDevice seem valid (not garbage memory or nullptr) since UpdateRenderTree and RenderOffscreen run successfully.

Ill attach a minidump the next time it happens, as I said, it happens very rarely.

jsantos
Site Admin

10 Dec 2020, 11:38

I see, I understand now! 😃

I am pretty sure the minidump will reveal what's going on.