appit
Topic Author

[Unity] Integrating Noesis GUI with existing project

14 Aug 2014, 07:48

Hi folks,

I bought the noesisGUI a while ago from asset store. I put it aside for a while as I like to lay the scaffolding using unity primitives to create prototype and then build/iterate on that. I started out with unity gui and now I am confused as to how I would proceed to integrate noesisGUI in the prototype.
I watched the getting started video, but it says I need to create the xaml project first before creating Unity project. I have a working game prototype. Can you point me in the right direction as to how to integrate it in my existing project? Thanks!

Best,
Appit Technologies.

movra

Re: [Unity] Integrating Noesis GUI with existing project

14 Aug 2014, 08:42

I watched the getting started video, but it says I need to create the xaml project first before creating Unity project.
Oh, you're afraid you did things in the wrong order? Haha, I think it's just unfortunate wording in the video. The quote is: "The first thing we need to do is create a new project using Blend." Should have been something like "The first thing we are going to do ..."

No, you don't need to create a new project in Blend first. In fact, you don't need Blend at all! XAML is just a text file you can edit in any text editor. A bit like mid-90s HTML when we used to mix content with presentation, except in XAML it's just presentation and the content can be bound to C#. However, Blend has Intellisense and a GUI editor made for XAML, which is a lot more than you can say about Notepad.

You can create an empty text file with a .xaml extension in your Assets folder. Now you can choose whether to create a Blend project somewhere outside the Assets folder and "Link to Existing Item" where the item is the empty XAML file you just created. Or you can just use a lightweight editor like Kaxaml or Notepad. Copy some boilerplate from another XAML and paste it in yours.

Now you can proceed with the steps in the tutorial.

appit
Topic Author

14 Aug 2014, 19:58

Thank you for the quick reply and sorry it was such a noob question. I am very new to xaml and trying to get my head around with using noesis in Unity. So I might bug you for a few days until I fully understand this.
We are making a multiplayer vehicle combat game in a futuristic setting. I will let you know about the progress and maybe even share my GUI in here! :)

jsantos
Site Admin

18 Aug 2014, 11:19

The "Link to Existing Item" is described in this tutorial. The fact that Blend does not allow adding an existing folder is really annoying, but the workaround is easy: rename the folder, add to blend, rename again.

Yes, please, keep us informed about the progress of your game.