haowang1013
Topic Author

Using Noesis as a 3D UI solution

16 Sep 2014, 06:40

Hi,

We're considering using Noesis not just for the 2D but also for the 3D part of our next unity game.

According to this thread:viewtopic.php?f=3&t=270
Currently using Noesis as 3D UI has some problems:
1. Culling is not implemented. If the object is out of camera, the GUI is still sent to the GPU
2. Although the perspective can be achieved, our GUI does not interact with the zBuffer provided by Unity.
For #1, I'm wondering if culling can be implemented on the application side. This will require to be able to toggle the "visibility" of any controls in the code - is this possible with the current APIs?

As for #2, is there any plan to fix it in the near future?

Thanks

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Using Noesis as a 3D UI solution

16 Sep 2014, 16:34

#1 Yes

#2 nobody asked for it right now but I think we could evaluate it. The task is relatively easy, we only have to activate the ZBuffer.

What exactly do you want to achieve? Could it be done using render to texture?

haowang1013
Topic Author

17 Sep 2014, 03:38

For #2, one use case would be the player tag that should be hidden once the player is behind a building or something. This can be done with render to texture but I suspect it will be slow, when there're many such UI entities.

If it's not too difficult, it would be nice if it can be squeezed into the 1.2 release.
What's the ETA for 1.2 btw?

Thanks

jsantos
Site Admin

17 Sep 2014, 18:33

You could render all the entities to the same texture atlas. I know that several clients are doing it.

Features are frozen in v1.2.0 right now but it could be added in the future. The main problem I see is making sure that the projection matrix used by Unity to generate the z-Buffer is the same being applied to the UI Panel.