movra
Topic Author

[Unity] Plugin folder structure in Unity 5

11 Aug 2015, 21:15

Here's a tip for better folder management. Right now NoesisGUI scatters its plugins over several subfolders in the Assets/Plugins folder per the old Unity plugin folder structure requirements.

That old plugin folder structure makes it not so easy to manage git-ignores. I like to git-ignore 3rd party assets to keep the git repositories smaller and focused on the project itself.

In Unity 5 the folder structure is not mandatory anymore and replaced with a new Plugin Inspector.

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PluginInspector.html
http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UpgradeG ... ugins.html

Therefore it's now possible to import NoesisGUI into Unity 5 and move all its plugins around as you like (for example to Assets/NoesisGUI/HelloPlugins). I just tried that by moving/renaming the Plugins folder that was created by the NoesisGUI 1.2.4 package. The Windows standalone has a Plugins folder that contains Noesis.dll and NoesisUnityRenderHook.dll.

One note. The keen observer will notice that any C# scripts moved out of the Assets/Plugins folder can of course not be detected as plugins and are therefore not put into the Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll.

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: [Unity] Plugin folder structure in Unity 5

17 Aug 2015, 18:01

Hi!

Thanks for sharing these suggestions. This is something we have discussed internally several times. There are a few problems though:
  • The /Editor folder should be moved to /NoesisGUI/Editor. I don't know why we didn't this at the beginning because it is compatible with Unity 4.x also.
  • Instead what you propose about the /Plugins folder is only compatible with Unity 5. Right now, our package is universal. I don't know if being compatible only with Unity5 is a good option at this moment.
  • As you mention, plugins out of the /Plugins folder are not put in the firstpass assembly. This can be a problem for user using NoesisGUI from other languages. I don't know how important this is. We filed a feedback for Unity. Although probably nobody is going to give us an answer : )

movra
Topic Author

10 Oct 2015, 13:39

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/5-3-pa ... ges.359720
There have been some changes on the package import pathway that are documented here.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1isY ... RP5d8/edit#

and
"Editor" folders inside of "Plugins", "Standard Assets", "Pro Standard Assets", and "iPhone Standard Assets" should now work the same way regardless of whereabouts they are inside those folders. I believe the fix may have landed in 5.2.1p3 today as well.
Before you say
Instead what you propose about the /Plugins folder is only compatible with Unity 5. Right now, our package is universal. I don't know if being compatible only with Unity5 is a good option at this moment
isn't it possible to upload multiple versions to the Unity Asset Store now? For example I see some assets have this new line in the version info on the store:
Package has been submitted using Unity 4.5.3, 5.0.0, and 5.2.0 to improve compatibility within the range of these versions of Unity.

jsantos
Site Admin

10 Oct 2015, 15:47

Thanks for the link! I have posted a comment there. I will be ignored but...
isn't it possible to upload multiple versions to the Unity Asset Store now? For example I see some assets have this new line in the version info on the store:
Yes, it is is possible. But it will complicate things here, having to maintain two packages. We are considering dropping Unity4 in the upcoming noesisGUI v1.3. That would allow us to start fresh. : )

movra
Topic Author

10 Oct 2015, 16:41

Ah, don't be so pessimistic. In the beta forums your voice will be stronger than in the rest of the forums, since there are more QA and developers wandering around there.

And yes, Unity 4 is approaching End-Of-Life.
However, as of January 2016, we will move to concentrate our sustained engineering resources on maintaining Unity 5. For this reason, we will stop shipping Unity 4.6 patches and public releases at that time.

Up till January 2016, we will ship fortnightly 4.6.x patch releases. We’ll also ship a public release at the end of October, and a further, final, public release in December.