rocketalien
Topic Author

Unity 5 hanging when importing NoesisGUI package

23 Sep 2015, 12:16

Hi, I have an issue trying to import the NoesisGUI Unity package in Unity 5, please help.

The import process hangs Unity when importing .TTF font files: JandaMateneeSolid.ttf in TicTacToe sample.
Removing the TicTacToe sample results in import process hanging when importing RobotoRegular.ttf

Operating System: OSX 10.8.5
Unity Version: v5.3.1f1
NoesisGUI Version: 1.2.4

Anyone else with the same issue?

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Unity 5 hanging when importing NoesisGUI package

23 Sep 2015, 12:43

Unity Version: v5.3.1f1
I suppose you mean 5.1.3, right?

After manually closing Unity, could you verify if the hanging font was copied to StreamingAssets? For example inside Assets/NoesisGUI/Samples/TicTacToe/Fonts/

jsantos
Site Admin

25 Sep 2015, 11:52

I have just tried today exactly the same version of Unity (5.1.3f1) and NoesisGUI (Trial 1.2.4) in OSX (10.10.5) and everything is working properly.

Apart from answering the questions above, could you also create the project in a different directory?

rocketalien
Topic Author

27 Sep 2015, 17:33

Hi jsantos,

Yes, the version of Unity that I used was 5.1.3, sorry for the typo.

The StreamingAssets directory contains the following 2 files:

Janda Manatee Solid.nsf
JandaManateeSolid.ttf.nsb

I don't see JandaManateeSolid.ttf present in the original Fonts directory.

I tried creating the project several times in a new directory.

This is on a Mac.

jsantos
Site Admin

29 Sep 2015, 20:23

I don't see JandaManateeSolid.ttf present in the original Fonts directory.
You mean in the /Assets folder? That would be very strange.

If .nsf and .nsb files are present in the /StreamingAssets folder it seems to indicate that our preprocess was done correctly. Could you verify that those files are not 0 lenght? That is also confirmed by the fact that the log you sent us clearly indicates that the noesis was properly shutdown. This is very strange...

I have been trying to reproduce this issue in several configurations (always Mac, same Unity and Noesis than you) but no luck so far.

Do you know how to use XCode to break the process and analyze in which part the CPU is halted?

rocketalien
Topic Author

01 Oct 2015, 21:41

Yes, those files are not zero length. I upgraded to Unity 5.2.1 and the same thing happens over there.

I can try using Xcode to see where Unity hangs.

rocketalien
Topic Author

02 Oct 2015, 02:44

I couldn't get a list of processes to attach to in Xcode, so I took a Unity application sample with Activity Monitor when Unity 5 was not responding. I sent the file via email, I could not attach it here (extensions not allowed). Please let me know if this helps diagnose the issue. I'll try to attach Xcode again after a system reboot.

jsantos
Site Admin

02 Oct 2015, 14:22

Thanks for the report!

It seems that there is some kind of trouble displaying the progress bar in Unity.

jeroenvdv

26 Oct 2015, 12:19

Hi,

Same problem here.. Even when making a clean project in a new folder, NoesisGUI 1.2.4 hangs on processing the last asset. When removing this as test, it hangs on the previous last asset. Any news on this one?

jsantos
Site Admin

26 Oct 2015, 16:28

This was moved to the tracker and after many hours of investigation and invaluable help from rocketalien we concluded that the problem was not related to NoesisGUI. It seems a weird interaction between Unity and OSX. We had a scenario where Unity was hanging when importing NoesisGUI package but no code at all of Noesis was being executed (our postprocessor was disabled). In fact, the hang happened when Unity was compiling a .cs.

I wonder if you could bring more information here for helping. Is this the fist time you try OSX? Or it was working before and now it is not working?